Virginia Estate Planning Lawyers
Frederick J. Tansill & Associates, LLC opened in late 1997. Fred Tansill has over 40 years of legal experience. Prior to starting his own firm, Fred was a partner at McGuire Woods and more recently Verner Liipfert (now DLA Piper). Fred launched his own practice focused on counseling professionals, entrepreneurs, corporate executives, and investors. Fred also represents the closely-held business and investment entities and estates and trusts in which his individual clients are involved, as well as trust companies and non-profit organizations. The firm is committed to listen and to provide highly customized documents, prompt attention, and timely service.
Among the firm’s areas of expertise are:
- Sophisticated Estate Tax and Gift Tax Planning/Wills & Trusts
- Asset Protection Planning: Domestic and Offshore
- Charitable Planning Including Lead and Remainder Trusts, Private Foundations
- Expeditious and Economical Estate and Trust Administration
- Advice to Fiduciaries and Beneficiaries/Disputes
- International Estate Planning, Offshore Trusts
- Planning for Closely-Held Business and Investment Entities
- S & C Corporations, LLCs, LLPs, Family Limited Partnerships
- Marital Agreements
- Tax Planning and Disputes
- All Local Jurisdictions
- Expert Witness
Some of the honors Fred has received throughout his career are:
- Chairman, Trusts and Estates Section, Virginia State Bar
- Chairman, Estates, Trusts and Probate Law Section, District of Columbia Bar
- A Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estates Counsel (ACTEC—elected by peers)
- Quoted regularly in The Washington Post, Wall Street Journal
- Listed in Washingtonian Magazine in 2015 and numerous previous years as one of "Best Lawyers in Washington"
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America in 2016 and numerous previous years
- Listed in Super Lawyers in 2015 and numerous previous years
- Listed in Northern Virginia Magazine in 2015 as a topic financial professional
- Listed in Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers, 2006-present, AV-rated (top) for 25 years
- Co-Chaired Virginia Bar Committee which wrote Ethical Rules for Lawyers Serving as Fiduciaries
- President, Northern Virginia Estate Planning Council
- President, Northern Virginia Community Foundation
- Lectures nationally
- Our firm is ranked in the 2015 and 2016 "Best Law Firms" lists by U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers as Tier 1 in Washington, DC for Trusts and Estates Law.
For your estate planning needs in Virginia, contact the law firm of Frederick J. Tansill & Associates, LLC in McLean.